Dear Parallels Fanworks Exchange Author,
Hello! My name is makiyakinabe! Thank you for offering to write in one or more of my requested fandoms! I can't wait to read your work whichever one you choose!
Optional details are optional, but if you'd like to get more of a grasp of what I'd generally like to see, or prefer not to, in a story, well...Likes:- slice-of-life- humor- fluff- worldbuilding and historical details
- plottiness- character introspection- you're also welcome to include other characters from my requested canons... although I'd prefer it if the focus remains on, well, my requested charactersDislikes and squicks:- character bashing- gore and detailed descriptions of violence
If you have any questions, feel free to comment below! Treats are welcome too!( Now onto the fandoms and characters I requested, as well as even more optional details: the prompts! )Joker Game (Anime)
The characters I've requested are Hatano and Alain Lernier.
Pairings-wise I like Alain/Hatano (but I'm just as interested in reading something where they're good friends, if you decide to go this route). I'm also interested in Miyoshi/Sakuma and Jitsui/Gamou Jirou (in that order) but again, this is an optional detail and you don't have to include either pairing.
As for the story itself, to be honest I'd be happy with anything because we only get to see these two interact for one episode and that's it. I like how quickly Alain goes from being wary and suspicious of "Shimano" to seeing him as a ally and putting so much trust into him (and how happy this made Hatano!). It's too bad Hatano decided to leave at the end.
If you'd like some prompts to work with...
For something set during canon, how about:
- a canon divergent AU where Hatano decided to stay and help Alain with his Résistance activities? He did admit (albeit only to himself) that he was touched when he heard Alain's invitation, even if he decided to return to Japan. What would their missions be like? Does Alain successfully rope "Shimano" into taking part in Christmas festivities with the other members of their Résistance cell? Do they argue philosophy while waiting for broadcasts from Radio Londres? (Apparently Alain is a philosophy student in the novels.)
- a post-series AU where Hatano and Alain find each other again? Does Alain go to Japan to try and find "Shimano Ryousuke" or does Hatano turn up on Alain's doorstep one day? What does Emma think of Alain?
- I'm curious about how episode 3 would play out in a soulmate-induced colour vision AU (where people see the world in monochrome until they see their soulmates, upon which the world literally bursts into colour). I imagine Yuuki would teach the spies which shade of gray corresponds to which colour so they'd be able to do things like faking one-sided soulmatehood to throw off suspicion, but since "Shimano" had amnesia that'd definitely complicate the mission...
For AUs, how about:
- a modern-day spy AU? Maybe "Shimano" is on a mission when he bumps into Alain and can't shake him off?
- a Harry Potter AU where Beauxbatons student Alain shows the new exchange student from Japan around
and has to stop Hatano from jinxing the hell out of Jean for getting his school's name wrong
- a paranormal investigators AU where Alain goes to Y Agency (Y for yuurei
) for help with a ghost problem?Aruosumente | Sage's Dream
The characters I've requested are Kian and the former Emperor/Artian's father (I don't think he was named yet in the chapters so far?).
The friendship between the two characters is one of my favourite things about the manga. I love how dear Kian is to the former Emperor and how he slowly takes Kian out of his shell by listening and giving advice about Legna's upraising. And Kian being so confused about this fatherhood business but going along because it's what his Emperor wanted, until he grows to love Legna, finds himself in too deep but doesn't care because his son is so important to him!
For prompts, how about:
- the former Emperor and Kian planning on how best to celebrate Legna's birthday?
- conversations about talking care of Legna (and Artian) and being a father? I loved those scenes we got to see in the manga.
- something about the former Emperor's and Kian's pasts maybe?有頂天家族 | Uchouten Kazoku | The Eccentric Family
The characters I've requested are all four Shimogamo brothers.
As for pairings, I'm fond of Benten/Shimogamo Yasaburou and Shimogamo Yajirou/Ebisugawa Kaisei (but if you're uncomfortable with either you don't have to include it!)... but actually, if you do write in this fandom, I'd prefer it if you keep things pairings-free (or gen, with pairings in the background) because I'm most interested in the Shimogamo brothers' relationship to each other.
I'd like to see the Shimogamo brothers being, well, brotherly to one another. One of the aspects of The Eccentric Family that I really enjoy is the depth of their bonds... how, despite their different (and sometimes opposing) personalities, they still understand and care a lot about each other! It's really too bad how we don't get to see all of them them in one place until the last two episodes! I'd be especially happy to read a story that focuses on Yajirou, who's my favourite character (and was a literal frog in the well for most of most of the episodes!), but optional details are optional!
If you'd like some prompts to work with, how about:
- something set pre-canon, such as the Shimogamo brothers having a shapeshifting contest? (Maybe with Papa Shimogamo as the judge?)
- or a story where they simply talked about how their day went while having a meal together? Did any of them have a run-in with Ginkaku and Kinkaku? Who will do the washing up afterwards?
- or something post-canon, such as the brothers' preparations for a birthday party for Mother Shimogamo? Who's in charage of what? Who's on the invite list, and who's not?
- or if you like a challenge, how about a fusion AU or crossover? I'd be interested in seeing a daemon AU for this series (Do tanuki and tengu have daemons, too? If they do, what would this mean for the Friday Fellows?) Crossovers with Kekkaishi (What do the tanuki think of Karasumori and its protectors? Have any tanuki or tengu have crossed paths with anyone from the Shadow Organization, or the Ougi clan— and if so, what does this mean for the Shimogamo brothers?) or other urban fantasy and/or supernatural works are fine too.Sangatsu no Lion | March Comes Like a Lion
The character I requested is Touji Souya.
He's a very mysterious character! He seems like something out of legends (because of his title of Meijin) and otherworldly (even after he's revealed to be deaf, because he seems so detached from it all), but deep down he's super into shogi like everyone else, only his skill is on an entirely different level.
I'd like to see something about him and Rei, or him and Dobashi Kenji. (Or maybe something set during his childhood? Or how did he feel about the world gradually getting quieter and quieter?)
Rei because parallels have been made in-series about them both being shogi prodigies (to the extent they're more into shogi than everything else). If you'd like some prompts I'd like to see more of their match together, or maybe they meet again in similar circumstances to the storm and Rei takes it upon himself to help Souya out (it was really sweet, how helpful Rei was even if he's nervous about it because Touji Souya
As for Dobashi Kenji, the scene where he told his parents about realizing that there was still so much to explore about shogi and that he'll be going over to Souya's place to explore with him together, that made me ship them. But you don't have to include this pairing and I'd be just as happy with something where they're friends. I really liked the idea of these two, who have been rivals since childhood, who are more into the game itself than the rivalry (although the people around them would make a bigger deal of the latter), becoming friends and trying to explore the possibilities of shogi together. That scene where Souya got up to take a bug and set it free because it was distracting Kenji's thoughts made me smile because it's clear just how much respect Souya has for Kenji (and shogi) to do such a thing. It also funny how even though they look worlds apart appearance-wise, they're actually very similar in that their world revolves around shogi (and they collapse on their bed and fall asleep after a match because they're wiped out mentally). If you'd like some prompts, more details about their match or the matches they had before from childhood onwards would be great. Or maybe something set during one of their shogi sessions at Souya's?Poulette's Chair (Anime Short Film)
The characters I requested are Poulette and Chair. (If you're curious about this canon, the short film's available on youtube!)
I love stories about friendships between humans and inanimate objects! The short film was delightful to watch not just because of the lovely art, but because while Poulette and Chair do everything together Chair also recognizes that Poulette wants to be friends with her peers and helps her instead of getting jealous and petty. (Such a selfless chair!)
If you'r like some prompts to work with:
- What's it like, having a chair for a friend? (And vice versa?)- Has there been other instances of friendship between children and inanimate objects? How did they come about? Do Poulette and Chair ever get to meet them? And have adventures?- Or, if you're interested, how about a different setting AU? Is Chair in fact a Tsukumogami? What does Poulette's daemon think about Chair?- I'd also be interested in a crossover with other canons where children have (supposed to be) inanimate objects as friends! The only one I know is The Broken Pitcher.
ちはやふる | Chihayafuru
The characters I requested are Mashima Taichi and Wakamiya Shinobu.
They're my two favourite characters and I'd love to read something about them, whether it's what went on in that televised match where Mashima's set up to be wiped out by the Queen as an 'example' or more interactions between them during future matches or when Shinobu's path crosses with Taichi and Suou's again or something along those lines.
I'm also fine with it if you write something that focuses only on one of them though:
For Taichi, I ship Taichi/Suffering and Taichi/Foreveralone to be honest. One of the reasons I got around to watching the anime and catching up on the manga was because I knew that Taichi/Suffering would be a big part of it. Seeing him struggle and trying so hard to be a good friend to Chihaya while knowing very well that she'll get together with Arata someday... it was painful to watch, but in a good way? (YMMV of course.) I'd like something that explores his pining after Chihaya and slowly coming to terms with it, maybe even letting go because Taichi/Suffering, but also because I think even though Chihaya means the world to him I'd like to see him trying to explore and discover who he is outside of Chihaya's friend. (But well, optional details are optional.) As for other prompts, how about one of Taichi's games with Suou? What does the other members of Suou's club think of him? What are his texts to Arata like? Does he still play karuta at university?
For Shinobu, I ship Shinobu/Karuta (yep... to be honest I ship everyone/Karuta although in some sense Taichi/Karuta is basically Taichi/Suffering... but I digress). I love how dignified and proud she is, even if her actions can bewilder people who don't know her very well (e.g. her suddenly gaining weight before the match with Yumi because she was eating tons of ice cream to collect tokens for special Snowmaru merch). For prompts, I'd like something about Shinobu's relationship to the cards, how they keep her company and are her very best friends! How did she come to personify them? I'd also be interested in reading something where she meets Kanada. I think they'd get along very well, because in a sense they both know and appreciate the history behind each and every poem in the Hyakunin Isshu
. Something about her past with Arata would also be great! Or maybe she and Chihaya are in the same karuta club at university?